How to Use a Dab Rig 2020
So you are ready to start dabbing, but you still aren't quite sure on how to use a dab rig, right?
Don't worry, using a dab rig is not as complicated as you might think it is and we will walk you through every step of the way.
Here are all the things you need to use a dab rig:
- A dab rig
- A dab tool/dab wand
- A titanium, ceramic, or quartz dab nail.
- A carb cap (optional)
- A torch
Don't worry, we will go over each of the necessary components of the dab rig individually, so you understand exactly why you need each of the above. We will then show you how to put them together, so you get the best experience possible with your dab rig. Before we get into how to use a dab rig, let's go over the fundamentals of what a dab rig is and just why you would use it.
What is a Dab Rig?
The dab rig is a glass smoking device that looks much like a bong but is specifically meant to smoke oils or wax concentrates. Dabbing is the process of taking concentrates and "dabbing" them onto a heated dab nail.
Benefits of Using a Dab Rig
Technically you could use a basic water pipe to smoke your concentrates, but you will be missing out on some major benefits of using a dab rig.
Using a dab rig for oils and wax concentrate has many benefits, but let's go over the four major wins on using a dab rig.
- Get the maximum flavor out of your concentrates
- A much better tasting vapor with very little smoke odor.
- Less carcinogens with no smoke
- A powerful production of vapor
Setting Up your Dab Rig
So now you know the basics, and you are ready to start using your dab rig. Let's talk about all the essential components needed for smoking your dab rig and just how each is used in the process.
- Dab Nail - This is the device in which you heat up with the torch, and once hot, you place your concentrate in here to smoke. The dab nail is the equivalent of what a bowl piece would be to a bong, so you insert the Dab Nail into the Dab Rig.
- A Dab Tool/Dab Wand - This is the device in which you are picking up your concentrate and moving it into the dab nail. You will take the Dab Tool and scrape the wax and take that and move it into the heated dab nail to smoke.
- A Carb Cap is optional, and not all dab rigs have a carb cap. Once you place the concentrate into the heated dab nail, you use the Carb Cap to cap over the dab nail. What this does is, it builds up all the potential vapor beneath the carb cap without any vapor escaping. It works the same as a shotgun in a bong and helps to amplify the hit you take.
Steps on how to use a Dab Rig
- Take your dab wand/tool and scrape the desired amount of concentrate for your liking.
- Heat up your dab nail by hitting the side of the nail with the torch. Torch until the entire nail turns red in color. (By torching the side of the glass as opposed to the whole nail, you are creating what I like to call the golden zone for dabbing your concentrate. The glass area that is directly hit by the torch, is where you will be placing your wax concentrate.)
- Wait 30-45 seconds for the nail to cool down. *This is a critical step in the process, for you can essentially burn or waste your concentrate if the nail is scorching hot*
- Once cooled, and the nail is no longer red, take your already prepared wand tool to dab your concentrate into the nail. (If you have a carb cap, you can proceed to cap off your hit after the initial first pull)
- Inhale and repeat until you're satisfied with your high.
- That's it! You're done and have officially taken your first dab hit using a dab rig.
Now you know, dabbing concentrates or wax is not as complex as you might've thought. The different tools needed and used for a dab rig could easily intimidate someone who has never dabbed before.
Fortunately, we have simplified the process and made it as straightforward as we could for you. Always remember, a little goes a long way with concentrates. It's tempting to take a monstrous hit, so be mindful and think twice before scraping a big wad of wax.
Stay safe, and, most importantly, stay HIGH!
Thanks for reading!